2011 XXL Freshmen.
*Wakes up, gets on Twitter, see's link to Freshmen cover for 2011...* This can't be life. Ok, where do I begin with this cover.
- First off, with not even paying attention to who's on the cover ...yet, at first glance, this cover looks ratchet as fuck! Were they like, "Hey, everyone just get on set and do whatever!" Every year, the set up for the cover shoot gets worse and worse. Just look at this cover, people! My point exactly.
- Now to the actually "Freshmen"...who the hell votes for who gets on this cover??? Cause I'm starting to think (no offense), these people are on crack, LSD, and some other crazy ass drugs! I understand why Mac Miller, Kendrick Lamar, Diggy, Big K.R.I.T, Cyhi Da Prynce, and of course Yelawolf are on this cover. Those were legit ass picks. But the other people, to me (Es), seem like space fillers. Which is totally unnecessary cause there are PLENTY of hot emcees out right now who deserve to be on this cover. XV, Dom Kennedy, Tyler the Creator, Casey Veggies, Smoke DZA, Chip Tha Ripper, Vado, just to name a muthafuckin' few!!! I could really get into this and name some amazing emcees that XXL probably hasn't caught wind of yet.
- I want/need to know the criteria that they use to pick the emcees for this, cause I'm at a complete loss. From what I see on Twitter and on the comments of the post of this cover, the streets are angry! If you ask the PEOPLE-not the these-who do they even ask anyways? Please don't say bloggers, cause that would be extremely hard to believe! But if you ask the people who actually listen to all these upcoming artists, have their mixtapes in their hard drives, go to their shows, and rep them on every social networking profile they have, then this list would look very,very different! The streets, the college campuses, and the high school cafeterias have BEEN talking, but has this industry been listening? I think not.
- Overall, I ain't fuckin' with this cover too much. But shout out to everyone who made it. Someone out there feels like you deserve it-pop champagne. 2009 Freshmen > 2010 Freshmen > 2011 Freshmen and from the looks of that, I'm a little scared for XXL and Hip Hop in general. Let us pray.
- Oh, and Lil B. Honestly, as much as I would like to hate this guy for the fuckery he has contaminated the Hip Hop world with, he did a damn good job of it and deserves his own cover. Yup, I said it.